Script News & Announcements

July 1, 2015Monthly Update for July

Somewhat slow month here in contrast with a lot going on in the corporeal realm. Abnormal is the new normal.

No changes to the site itself except one very minor cosmetic tweak. I'd hoped to implement a new caching system this past month but I didn't have the time.

However, some lovely people donated some new scripts, including a handful from RaniSputnik via our second Git pull request. Thanks to him, veteran iFredQC, and newcomer GameGoblin. Additional thanks to Threef who submitted some scripts currently under review.

  • ds_map_clone — Clones a map simply to a new copy and returns the created map.

  • ds_map_deep_clone — Clones a map deeply to a new copy, cloning any nested maps and lists, and returning the created root map.

  • ds_map_default_value — Returns the value of a key from a given map, inserting a default value into the map if the key does not yet exist.

  • instance_nearest_notme — Returns the nearest instance to a given point, disregarding the calling instance.

  • instance_singleton — Returns a single instance of the given object, creating one if no instance exists.

  • cone_volume — Returns the volume of a cone of a given radius and height.

  • sphere_volume — Returns the volume of a sphere of a given radius.

  • triangle_side_area — Returns the area of triangle given the length of three sides.

Stats from June

Website: 1 commit, 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

Scripts: 17 commits, 17 files changed, 238 insertions(+)

Posted by xot at 01:00 AM - Comments: 1


June 1, 2015Pathetic Monthly Update for June

For a couple months I alluded to the notion that things would be getting back to normal. Well, friends, getting back to normal went out the window when my computer decided it was done with this world after 9 years of faithful service.

After two weeks of downtime, I now have a new machine. I installed Windows less than 48 hours ago. I only managed to make a couple of very minor technical tweaks to the site that are hardly worth mentioning and are practically invisible.

The only notable thing to happen in the scripts department is our first pull request. It seems I was not careful enough when I replaced the headers of the existing script library and left a stray block comment delimiter in string_random. GitHub user DatZach was kind enough to patch the problem, minor though it was.

I wish I had better news to report. Maybe next time — though even that non-promise feels like tempting fate these days. Sheesh, what a month.

Stats from May

Website: 5 commits, 4 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

Scripts: 3 commits, 2 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

Posted by xot at 10:30 AM - Comments: 0


May 1, 2015Monthly Update for May

When I said things were getting back to normal last month I was a bit optimistic. There has been some progress but not much.

On the site side, very little has changed. Scripts now have links to GitHub view, commits, blame, and raw pages. LaTeX markup now stays hidden until fully rendered by MathJax. Colors used on the GM:Studio Releases page have been tweaked.

As for scripts, it's all stuff inspired by my Immediate Mode GUI prototype I've been working on. I'm looking into refactoring the GUI system of SilverQuest: Gaiden and the prototype is helping to find a good solution. You can learn about IMGUIs with me by following my dev blog.

New Scripts

Updated Scripts

  • string_left — Returns a number of characters from the start a string.

  • string_right — Returns a number of characters from the end a string.

Stats from April

Website: 5 commits,  7 files changed, 54 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)

Scripts: 10 commits,  21 files changed, 300 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

Posted by xot at 09:49 PM - Comments: 0


April 1, 2015Surprisingly Regular Monthly Update for April

Wow, this month has flown by.

Despite my best intentions, I did not get nearly as much done on the site as I would have liked. As expected, I had to devote a fair amount of time to SilverQuest: Gaiden. I also started a new development blog on a bit of a hasty whim. But what was truly unexpected was a rather severe medical emergency that's had me playing the role of a full-time nurse for the last two weeks. I normally avoid talking about family stuff online but, yeah, it's been a big upheaval. Thankfully, things are getting back to normal now.

I managed to get a few things done here. First up is a nice new clutch of code:

OK, most of those scripts are simple and won't exactly knock your socks off. But I think there are a couple of great ones in there.

YellowAfterlife donated the two array scripts. In concert they are incredibly useful. With any luck, they will be made obsolete by some future in-built GM:Studio functionality but until then they are a blessing.

I'm also quite fond of ds_grid_flood_fill(). It's fairly efficient, non-trivial, and has helped me with testing the connectivity of procedurally generated dungeons. Another GM:Studio user has used a variant to automatically add floor tiles to user-drawn levels. I'm curious what other uses it might have.

As far as the site itself goes, not much is new. One big fix is obsolete scripts being removed from script indices and related script groups. They are still on the site to facilitate any old links but they are otherwise invisible.

The other update is the "Recent Changes" section of the landing page. It now only shows scripts modified in the last 30 days.

There are plenty of more scripts to come in the next few weeks. See you then.

Stats from March

Website: 3 commits, 3 files changed, 24 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

Scripts: 18 commits, 22 files changed, 403 insertions(+), 42 deletions(-)

Posted by xot at 12:03 AM - Comments: 0

Read More News