GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 20:26:05

xot
Administrator

IGF - Best Freeware Arcade Games 2007

Indie Games has posted their "Best Freeware Arcade Games 2007" list. Of the 20 selected games, Game Maker is well represented.

Flywrench by messhof
Death Worm by JTR
Frozzd by 2Dcube (1st place YoYo Winter Competition)
Garden Gnome Carnage by Ultimortal (2nd place YoYo Winter Competition)
Winter's Heart by bitpimp / Darthlupi

Indie Games: Best Freeware Arcade Games 2007

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#2 2008-01-14 09:03:37

EyeGuy

Re: IGF - Best Freeware Arcade Games 2007

5 out of 20, not bad.  GM certainly seems to be rising in popularity, though obviously the Winter Competition had something to do with it.

I just feel embarrassed that I haven't played a single one of these games.

#3 2008-01-14 18:45:16

xot
Administrator

Re: IGF - Best Freeware Arcade Games 2007

I've only played Frozzd, and only because it was getting such good buzz as the Winter Comp was winding up. It's very polished, and runs very smoothly. The things that stand out about it are the excellent art direction and execution, and the combat-by-proxy element, that is, the player has very little control over the combat leaving it up to the little guys he's rescuing which alternate modes at the players command between rescue and attack. It's very well done and I didn't have any doubts it would win even without seeing another entry.

Although I haven't played it yet, I watched the Garden Gnome Carnage video, and found it pretty damn amusing, with a surprising amount of screen activity for a Game Maker game. Reminds me of a Jeff 'Yak' Minter game without the ungulates.

Abusing forum power since 1986.

Board footer