GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-07 16:21:48

Fira

How much memory can a human brain hold?

I once heard like one million gigabytes (1,000,000 GB ) of memory but is it true that the human brain can hold alot more memory than 1,000,000 GB?

My name is Jason and I am from and live in and was born in North United States of America and I am new here.

Last edited by Fira (2011-03-07 16:22:26)

My name is Jason. I was born in North United States of America (N. USA), I live in N. USA, and I am from N. USA http://awesomeststuffyeah.proboards.com/

#2 2011-08-21 21:17:28

Big J

Re: How much memory can a human brain hold?

I think comparing human memory to computer memory is like comparing apples to oranges. What I can't remember today, I might remember tomorrow. With computer memory it either remembers something or it doesn't. Human memory is just a completely different beast in my opinion, too abstract to be compared to computer memory or measured. This is all just my speculation and opinion though.

#3 2012-01-09 15:38:18

icuurd12b42

Re: How much memory can a human brain hold?

Given 100 billion neurons in the brain and 100 trillion (1014) synapses (where a synapse is a link between 2 neurons, 2 neuron may have multiple synapse connecting them are different place and neurons can be connected to multiple neurons)

The combination of possible connections is virtually limitless.

Given we have no idea how brain memory works, I suspect the connections allow for multidimensional use of memory (ie one neuron may be part of many memories and functions)

We must assume we could start with a simple one dimensional binary implementation of neural memory. Where 2 neurons connected with a single synapse would define a bit and each neurons would be connected to 2 other (peek) neurons, one to provide an impulse and the other to check if the impulse got through the neuron pair.... So minimally, you need 4 neurons per bit, excluding the neurons needed to reference the "address" to be read and whatever is needed to write a bit (create a synapse).

So, 100/4 = 25 billion bits, /8 = 3.125 billion bytes (gigabytes)

If you can pair 2 neurons with multiple synapses, in such a way that you could now use 2 neurons to define a byte, then you are back up to 25 gigabytes.

But again, apple an oranges. Implementing a method that mirror actual silicone memory with neurons is probably very wasteful

Last edited by icuurd12b42 (2012-01-09 15:40:01)

Board footer