GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-22 14:55:50

xot
Administrator

GameMaker:Studio Launched!

blogicon-20120522.gifYoYo Games follows directly on the heels of SpaceX with a historic launch of their own. GameMaker: Studio is finally out! Cross-platform delivery has never been easier or faster.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just can't help it. I love the promise of this empowering product. The fact that YoYo Games have used this product to bring to market 25 games over a span of 20 months speaks volumes.

GameMaker:Studio is priced at a very affordable $99. The base package provides both Windows and OSX delivery options. The software is further extended by purchasing modules for additional delivery platforms. HTML5 delivery costs $99. Those who purchased GameMaker:HMTL5 before the release of GameMaker:Studio are entitled to a free upgrade to GameMaker:Studio including the HTML5 module (a $99 savings). Modules for iOS and Android delivery cost $199 each.

Just because GameMaker:Studio has been launched doesn't mean it is a finished product. There are still more features to come in its future and updates are expected to remain free. These include a new networking system for multiplayer games, 3D support for HMTL5 games using WebGL, and general performance enhancements to the base feature set as browsers continue to develop and improve their own HTML5 support.

I'm so incredibly stoked for what the YoYo Games team have accomplished by reaching this amazing milestone. Well done!

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#2 2012-05-29 12:48:17

balistreri.nick

Re: GameMaker:Studio Launched!

I need more information about the GameMaker:Studio release.. I currently own Gamemaker 8.1 and I have downloaded the Beta version of GameMaker:Studio.. My goal is to release my games on Android and iPhone/iPod/iPad..

I am confused about when it will be officially released, how much it will cost for the Android/iOS modules..
I have also found several bugs with the Beta version and I am worried about putting too much time into any game
within the Beta for fear that I may wind up starting over when they release the full version.

Any help???

#3 2012-05-31 01:02:24

xot
Administrator

The GameMaker:Studio beta ended and the product was officially released the day I posted this topic. There are certainly bugs still being worked out, and more will continue to be found and fixed, but it is a functional, more-or-less feature-complete product, and there is no real reason not to use it for production immediately.

There have been some important changes to the way the engine works and you should not expect your GameMaker 8.1 games to work without some changes even on Windows (although they may). I'll post more about these differences in the future. The changes were made to accommodate the way other hardware and operating systems work. If a game is developed solely with GameMaker:Studio, it should port to each available platform with relatively few changes, if any.

The price is $99 for the base GameMaker:Studio package which lets you make PC Windows, Mac OSX games. HTML5, iOS, and Android development require the purchase of separate modules.

GameMaker:Studio is $99
HTML5 module is $99
iOS module is $199
Android module is $199

If you wanted to use GM:Studio for both Android and iOS development, it would cost a total of $497 for the base package and the two modules. That total does not include enrollment in the Apple iOS Developer Program required for iOS development. It costs $99 per year. Presumably you will need to maintain your Apple license for your apps to continue to appear in the app store.

You will also need a Mac OSX computer for iOS deployment. During the alpha testing of the GM:Studio, this was not required. It is not totally clear to me if it is still possible to test iOS games without a Mac and a license. I suspect it is not, as YoYo flatly states on their site that a Mac with OSX is required. One GM:Studio user has reported partial success using a cloud-based Mac rental service to package an iOS application, at least successful as far as testing goes. I'll be certain to let you know if this is a viable path to the app store when more is revealed. All I can say for the moment is, this method is neither tested nor supported by YoYo Games.

GameMaker:Studio may be ordered from here:

http://www.yoyogames.com/game_showcases … se/express

If you already own GameMaker:HTML5, you can upgrade to the GameMaker:Studio base package including the HTML5 module for free.

#4 2012-06-05 14:11:24

balistreri.nick

Thank you for that informative post..

I appreciate all your help, and I also want to thank you for this website, especially the GML documentation. I've had alot of trouble finding decent reference material and documentation for the GML scripting language.

As for the MAC iOS, I'm one of those old school minded programmers who looks at Apple as "THE" poster child for  greedy corporate control.

At this point, Apple just wants to take profits from EVERYTHING anyone wants to use Apple products for.

I plan on avoiding Apple iOS until I make my game where Apple is the evil villain.

Last edited by balistreri.nick (2012-06-05 14:16:09)

#5 2012-06-05 15:03:49

xot
Administrator

As for the MAC iOS, I'm one of those old school minded programmers who looks at Apple as "THE" poster child for  greedy corporate control.

I can't disagree. It's ironic that they used to be the poster child for free and open systems ... before the Macintosh. That's the Apple I remember. I wish they would come back to the light.

I'll get GameMaker:Studio documentation on the site when it becomes more stable. It is still being finalized and I don't relish the idea of updating the online version each time the release documentation is tweaked.

Board footer