GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#21 2013-05-06 12:26:45

xot
Administrator

Re: Here's an interesting keyboard replacement for entering text

Heheheh. Of course the point is, the system, even at watch scale, is more than twice as fast as a traditional tablet-sized touchscreen keyboard, which is quite a significant improvement. Something else I neglected to mention from the paper is that the ZoomBoard was even more effective at reducing entry errors.

It's that last finding that really hits home the important finding of the paper. The iOS text entry system is so terrible that users become increasingly frustrated to the point where they stop correcting errors.

When it comes to entry errors on an iPhone, my greatest enemy is the stupid auto-correct feature. It's dumb on so many levels. Who makes a system where the only way to reject a suggested word is by selecting it?

I like using the iPhone. The only reason it succeeds is the satisfyingly direct nature of a touch interface. It's fun. In terms of general interface design, compound and secondary inputs (multitouch, gestures, accelerometer, etc.), feature accessibility, and connectivity, it's a big bag of fail. It's almost as philosophically boneheaded as something Microsoft would make. I don't know why everyone wants to copy it, instead of doing something good. /rant

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#22 2013-08-20 19:22:50

xot
Administrator

In the spirit of driving this into increasingly off-topic territory, here's an interesting thing. A professional programmer develops a severe repetitive stress injury from typing too much. He tries to work through it but it just makes matters worse, to the point where he has to give up typing completely.

Out of desperation, he tries to code with speech-to-text software. The results are pretty awful. However, with some time, modifications, and an invented speaking language, he actually succeeds in making it not only viable, but more efficient than typing. A few years go by and his injuries are completely healed. He still uses speech-to-text for 40-60% of his programming.

Origianal Story:
http://www.i-programmer.info/news/99-pr … board.html

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#23 2013-08-20 22:43:58

icuurd12b42

God knows I tried this numerous times

Board footer