GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-29 00:45:17

$pecter

Primitive Bug (GM6)

Okay, well it's pretty obvious that you shouldn't try to draw 'triangle-based' primitives (eg. pr_trianglelist, pr_trianglestrip, etc.) with less than three points because nothing will be drawn (trying to draw a triangle with two points draws nothing). When trying to draw a triangle with one point one would expect nothing to be drawn (just as with two points). But instead, it causes a BSOD (I'm guessing that draw_line_width_color uses triangle primitives also).

I've only tested with pr_trianglestrip and pr_trianglefan, but I'd expect pr_trianglelist to act similarly.

Last edited by $pecter (2008-06-29 00:46:29)

#2 2008-06-29 12:13:34

xot
Administrator

Re: Primitive Bug (GM6)

Interesting. I haven't experienced any problems or unusual behavior. I've tested all of the primitives with the draw_primitive and d3d_primitive functions using one and two vertices in both GM6.1 and GM7. I did not test textured primitives. If a line or triangle required more vertices than it was given, the display did not change. I'd guess that it is the GPU/driver that is causing the crash because it is getting unexpected data from Game Maker. It may only be a driver issue but it could be that GM sending data it shouldn't be. The same probably holds true with draw_line_width_color().

Can you provide some code or a download that always crashes you computer?

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#3 2008-06-30 07:12:18

$pecter

*a number of crashes later...*
Well, it seems I've jumped the gun here. I can't seem to replicate it in a new, identical project file, but the original project file still does it.
http://host-a.net/tarkimos/bad_primitive.gm6
Password is 'xot' (I don't want anyone downloading without knowing what it is, just in case it hurts their computer sad).
(Username is 'tarkimos'.)

Last edited by $pecter (2008-06-30 07:13:12)

#4 2008-06-30 11:45:20

xot
Administrator

I didn't have any problem with that. The bit about not being able to reproduce the crash in a new project is interesting. When I was initially checking out draw_line_width_color() in Fede-lasse's paint example, for some reason it did not crash, but it did cause massive lag with zero length lines. Only when I tried to reproduce the problem in a new project did I start getting crashes.

Abusing forum power since 1986.

Board footer