GMLscripts.com

Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-19 04:38:06

xot
Administrator

Introductions

Welcome to the forum. Here's a topic where new members can introduce themselves. I'm sure many of us will already know each other from other Game Maker forums but why not take the opportunity to say "hi"?

I guess I'll get the ball rolling. I'm xot, I've been hacking code since 1981. I started using Game Maker in 2004 with Game Maker 5.3A. It wasn't long before I registered and started posting regularly at the official Game Maker Community. Last year I started to feel like I should give something back to the community so I hatched a plan for a script database. Over the years I noticed many people looking for solutions to the same problems, over and over, and getting the same answers, over and over. That seemed like a good reason to try to collect the best scripts for the most common problems into one place. GMLscripts.com is the result, all thanks to the help and encouragement of several generous Game Maker users like you. Thanks everybody!

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#2 2007-10-09 09:33:42

leif902

Re: Introductions

Hi all (Which at the moment is probably just Xot), I'm Leif902 and I manage a small website, GreenMan Games, (http://www.greenmangames.vze.com). I started using GM with the release of 4.3 using D&D actions then, a few years later, taught myself GML. I have the attention span of a hyperactive 10 year old and almost never finish a script to completion. I enjoy hardware and software hacking and don't make many games. Many of the older scripts on GMLScripts.com were submitted (at least initially) by me, but Xot always has some brilliant way to completely rewrite them all!

Happy Coding
- Leif

Leif902

#3 2007-10-09 12:17:43

Grand-High Gamer

Hi guys, I'm Grand-High Gamer (which is a bit of a misnomer considering I'm crap at video games, thank god for Z:TP's easy difficulty level).
I started using GM at the GM4.something stage. I didn't get into it so I quit. I started again at GM5.3a. I stayed there until I finally registered, then I upgraded to GM6 (which is more constricting to unreged users IMHO).
I registered on the GMC around the same time I started with 5.3a, about a month or so before FredFredrickson (so why am I not a mod‽ Oh... right, I'm retarded and troll alot).

That's about it.

Happy coding everyone. Hopefully the screenshot script I submitted will eventually surface.

Last edited by Grand-High Gamer (2007-10-09 12:21:23)

sigimage1.png

#4 2007-10-12 10:10:35

Schreib

Well, I don't know if any of you people know me. I'm also known as Schreib on the GMC, derived from my name Jonah Schreiber. Ironically, my father who is American gave me the name Schreiber, while my mother who is the German in the family could be more expected to give me a German name. I live in Sweden, in Scandinavia. Nice little country, it is.

I recognize you all here from the GMC. I've been fiddeling around with Game Maker since v.4; now I'm usually not as productive with games, my current project is an adventure-logic solving puzzle game which I will be writing in Ultimate3D or eventually in C++ with some 3D library. At another Game Maker forum except it is in Swedish I'm usually refered to as "The equivalence to Yourself", even though I don't have nearly as much math knowledge as him. Nevertheless, I'm in the math line in highschool, and have been for one year.

About my personality; as many have noticed I despise many of the newer GMC members, often because they are childish or naive. There is this group of people I really can't stand at the GMC; and I find it quite difficult to keep back my irritation sometimes. You've probably seen this many times. rolleyes There are some people I do really find intelligent, reasonable and most importantly, rational. This is most of the people I have seen registering on this forum. So is it time for a migration? wink

I enjoy 3D art, sulking, poking people, 3D programming in general, Dungeons and Dragons, gaming (partly), computer programming and the like. As well as using Game Maker.

Some non-related interests: Sleeping, LD'ing, Astral Projection, gothic rock music like Within Temptation, and... doing some elegant math problems. This will probably get Yourself on my shoulders *shudders*.

#5 2007-10-17 08:40:00

TwistyWristy
Website

Hey everyone, I'm Sheldon going under the screenname of TwistyWristy from just about everywhere online [GRIN].

I've been fascinated with computers since the age of two, playing games on the Commodore 64 (Epsilon IV a favorite).
My dad loved programming games and I used to sit there and watch for hours; I think it's safe to say I get my love of programming from him.
I 'officially' started programming around the age of four or five (if you can consider jumping to line 54 and printing "HELLO", programming =]).
Afterwards, I moved onto QB, VB and finally GM and C++ (though my C++ knowledge is very minimal).

Besides game programming, I also enjoy web development, 3D modeling, composing music and strategy games, such as Empire Earth and Alpha Centauri.

Outside of computers, I enjoy playing music (piano/keyboard), making movies, writing stories and playing a humongous Role-Playing Game my siblings invented that we play just about everyday for hours (many an evening weekend session has extended into early the next day).
The games was invented almost three years ago and is outrageously huge; over two-hundred hand-drawn cards, hundreds of rules, weather charts, attack, defense and speed charts and we're currently designing a 77 x 42 inch map of the town.
It's great fun and they love when we can all get together to play it.

TwistyWristy

#6 2007-10-17 12:14:20

Grand-High Gamer

Great to see ya here Twisty.

sigimage1.png

#7 2007-10-18 05:57:37

TwistyWristy
Website

Thanks GHG, I'm glad to be here =)

#8 2007-10-18 15:56:26

EyeGuy

EyeGuy (along with a few other aliases).  Found Game Maker through Google back in 2003 or whenever GM 4.1 was.  Had lots and lots of trouble with it until I realized it came with its own scripting language (or whatever the technical term for what GML is).  Having already had a class or two worth of C++ in high school, using GML came naturally and I proceeded to make dozens of dozens of platformer engines, none of which ever amounted to anything.  Registered at the GMC a good deal after finding Game Maker and answer questions in the AQ&A from time to time.  Usually answering the hardest questions I can find.

#9 2007-10-21 09:24:26

IamCalle

Hi! I don't know if any of you people know me. I am known as IamCalle(Yeah, stupid nickname, I know. tongue) on the GMC. I use that name simply because "Calle" was and still is busy. Actually, I would like to have another nickname but I don't think that is changeable...?

I recognize you all here from the GMC. I started with GameMaker around GM 5.1 if I remember correctly and used D&D for a long time. I registered GameMaker 5.3 and have GameMaker 7.0 Pro today, using GML only. I never manage to produce games, I simply experiment with old and new ideas I come up with. My current project (which stands still for the moment) is making a top-down viewed level-editor that allows the regular GML user to make 2D and 3D levels with ease. The system is made up from coordinates and a line-collision script which xot and Gamer3D helped me with. The script lets the player have a smooth, non-sprite based 2D positional collision along any line. (Like the Doom1&2 maps) Although I admit that the project has gone a bit over my head now that I want to add ramps and stairs, etc. Maybe I can post the source and see what you guys can come up with. wink (The floor-system is already there, just missing the availibility to move between them)

Other than that I like to program A.I, GUI systems and making blood-effect systems for d3d.
Oh, and I never run my GameMaker applications in less than 60 fps. wink tongue

About me: I make textures(seamless and non-seamless), from photos I take and in Photoshop CS 2. I have a texture archive with different packs which I am going to sell (at least try to) + a free pack. I also do lowpoly 3D modelling and texturizing on the models. Animation is something I have not gotten fully into yet. During my time in TGG Teams, as the leader of the Sound Department, I also made sound effects.
I enjoy gaming (mostly FPS, RPG and RTS)

On the non-computer side;
I play paintball (I have a Spyder Fenix ACS and a Spyder VS3 smile), listens to hard-rock and the heavy-metal category (not black and such). Oh yes, I also like guns in general.

So yeah, that is me. =)

Last edited by IamCalle (2007-10-24 15:46:38)

#10 2007-10-21 10:35:56

Bryan

I be Bryan =) My gmc name is BrainWare, but yea, I love my name, so why wouldn't I use that?

I've been using GM since 5.0 and yea, I'm using it around 6 years now =D. I like the program GUI's and effects...
I love playing hockey and I like karting too wink. I'm addicted to trance and hmm yeah that's it.

Cheers

#11 2008-01-07 23:21:42

atarian

Hi im Atarian my gmc name is may004 i started using gamemaker in 2005 using gm5 soon i got a hold of gm6 and registered not long after that, i started programming in 2003 using Visual Basic but i was only 11 and i was never any good at it, this year i've started helping out younger users and even started a bigish project which is at the moment on hold, i love my sport (gymnastics) and sadly im no good at any others , i like listening to most types of rock and suprisly this year have started listening to classical music (odd combination eh) i detest rap and country music though.

well thats about all i can think of at the moment

#12 2008-01-09 14:26:37

waaaaaaah

Hello, I'm waaaaaaah, also know by the same name on the GMC. I seem to have started GM the latest, as I came aboard for GM 6.0. I have not made a game yet, though I have tried. My current attempt is an RPG, which I am rewriting due to the fact that I was getting disinterested. I've been using GM since December '04. I know GML pretty well, have tried to learn ANSI C, failed, and am going to try my hand at another language soon.
I have submited a dobule jump example to the GMC, and I plan soon to release my custom key scripts there as well(maybe you could find a use for it here too XD).
I'm a member of a team developing Starfox 2D: a 2D version of Starfox 64.
I like reading, playing video games, and of course, game making biggrin.

#13 2008-01-19 19:51:55

$pecter

Hi, I'm Josh. I commonly go under the display name of $pecter (or tarkimos on sites that do not allow '$').

I've matured quite a bit since I started using GameMaker 5.x in late 2003 (as my earlier posts on the GMC will demonstrate). My 'game making' skills have also increased greatly although there are some aspects (multiplayer) I still haven't tried. Steadily, I've been getting more generous towards the GMC. Answering questions and making examples is somehow more interesting than actually making a game now. And for the record I don't like playing games (I got Half-life 2 ages ago and still haven't finished it).

Off computers;
I like a lot of sports particularly football (soccer), [field] hockey, and most of all, competitive swimming (as my trophy shelves demonstrate smile ).
I live in Australia and like all Australians; I ride kangaroos to work.

#14 2008-02-14 09:32:01

Alexander_Q

Hey fellas, I'm Alexander_Q, known by the same on GMC. I've been using Game Maker since November '07 (GM7, RPG Maker previously), and like all n00bs, am enthralled with the idea of creating a successful MMORRPG. Love the site Xot, has come in handy on several occasions - and not just the scripts themselves in their entirety, but as general code inspiration.

I also ride Kangaroos to work, and I must say it can become quite uncomfortable at times.

#15 2009-01-09 23:01:01

RamboFox

Hello all, I'm RamboFox - known by the same name on the GMC. I'm still fairly new to coding but lately I have been getting quite good at it (My TD Car Physics Open Source game for example).

I have frequently visited this site before (lots of very useful, quick and highly optimized scripts) and today I have finally made the decision to join this expanding community.

Most of you know me by now that I sprite reasonably well (My art website is www.rambofox1.deviantart.com) and was a member of 64Digits (until it screwed up), you may already have seen my sparks script/example.

When off the computer, I draw and read any novel that I can get my hands on xD

By the way, did you already hear that I could sprite?:

Pixel_Turret_by_RamboFox1.png 8528530ca17809d3be7bb56d87dc4751.gif Smalltiny_running_stickman_gif_by_RamboFox1.gif
Xbox360_VS_PowerWave_by_RamboFox1.png

#16 2009-01-21 07:39:46

orange08

Hey! My name is--- well you know.
I am a spriter, programmer, GMC member, GMG member, GML member too now =D

Hi

-orange08

#17 2009-02-27 23:37:39

Halo Shg

Hey, if you haven't already looked to the left of this post, my name is Halo Shg. Well, I should probably say my screen name is Halo Shg, incase anyone out there had any strange thoughts (Yuh never know...). I'm from the GMC and have been using Game Maker since 5.3. Of course, I was still screwing around with 1945 and DnD, but decided it was time to learn some coding at the release of v6. GML was one of my first coding languages (I still knew simple stuff like BASIC and Pascal) but I caught on quite fast, starting with keyboard_checks until I became quite proficient and rarely needed to look up anything. Of course, I still do (primitives always bug me) but I've found ways of remembering things (My fnames is still has the "0 - Read; 1- Write; 2 - Both" beside file_bin_open).

I never managed make a good game, but I always enjoy writing applications.

I sometimes consider myself as a file-format "hacker" because I always like finding how file formats work, like documents, images and sound files (Actually, last night, I figured out how to write RIFF wav files, of course, without a guide, to make it fun)

Outside of Game Maker, I love to read and do arithematic (I love screwing around with things like Base 6).

So, now that I've wasted your time, feel free to waste mine. tongue My only wish is that you do it in an intelligent way (Novice Q&A at the GMC gives me a headache...).

Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get caught in jet engines!

#18 2009-02-28 12:03:37

xot
Administrator

I sometimes consider myself as a file-format "hacker" because I always like finding how file formats work, like documents, images and sound files (Actually, last night, I figured out how to write RIFF wav files, of course, without a guide, to make it fun)

I can appreciate that. Before I got a Windows PC I used to spend a lot of time tinkering with non-native graphic files as well as playing with save games files and ripping/modding game data files.

I'm sure you are familiar with WotSit, if not, it's a treasure trove.

Abusing forum power since 1986.

#19 2009-03-24 18:31:43

Halo Shg

Yup, WotSit is the place I'll find myself typing in when I don't feel like working on a project. I like to find one that they hasn't been done and attempt to interpret it tongue Too bad I haven't got any guides written yet. Maybe I'll submit one sometime...

Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get caught in jet engines!

#20 2009-05-08 06:27:58

Caniac
The #1 Caniac
Website

Hello everybody biggrin

I am Caniac, founder of GMVision (http://www.gmvision.tv), a GMC member, and new enthuseastic (or whatever) GMLscripts.com member!

Xot is Awesome!
GMVision is Awesome Too!

Board footer