Discuss and collaborate on GML scripts
Invert

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-02 00:42:08

xot
Administrator

GMLscripts.com 3.0

blogicon-20150101.gifHappy New Year!

It's a new year and that means I'm currently rolling out the new iteration of GMLscripts.com. This has been a long time coming, and I've broken many promises along the way, but it's finally here.

There are a number of changes to talk about.

Obviously, the skin has changed. When I say this is a long time coming, I'm not kidding. This visual design was created over two years ago. I was never very satisfied with it but it is functional. You may need to clear your browser cache or refresh with Shift-F5 in order to see things properly. This look may not be entirely new to you if you've ever seen the static version of the site. That's the site I've redirected to a few times when I've had hosting issues.

More important than the look is the content. All of the scripts have been updated for GameMaker: Studio. The old scripts are no longer accessible. An informal Twitter poll of GMLscripts.com users agreed universally there was little point in supporting old versions of GameMaker. That certainly makes things a lot simpler to maintain. However, it's not all rainbows. There are a few scripts which still need to be tested and fixed. There are some that are completely absent. There are some which have been deprecated. I'll be ironing out these wrinkles over the next several days.

The back-end of the site has been completely overhauled. This is the main reason the update has taken so long. I tried a lot of complicated approaches that I didn't really like. I spent a lot of time and energy on systems that were inferior and redundant. In the end, the new system is similar to the old system but is simpler, more streamlined, more standardized, and more richly featured.

The forum has also received an update which will require a good deal of manual tweaking. The many modifications to the forum have not carried over to the new version. Posts that used these features will be fixed.

As this is a beta release, bugs and other problems are expected and will be dealt with as they are discovered.

Abusing forum power since 1986.

Board footer